Forum Home > Employment Based US Visa Immigration Discussion > I-485 / EAD / AP Forum
Changing job once the I-485 is approved
There are 2 posts in this topic.
Watch This Topic
Start New Topic
Add Reply
zorkaxo
2/8/2014 7:00:43 PM
Total Posts: 20
I have been with the same (consulting) company for 6 years and currently filing the last step (i-485). Assuming all goes well and I get the card sometime by this summer, can I change job right away? I read that usually it is recommended to stay 6 more months at the current employer. But I got some attractive job offers. I know I can technically change company, but what can happen if I do it? I know my current company would not report me to the USCIS. So what kind of trouble can I get and when? Once I file for citizenship? When I renew my GC in 10 years? If I get audited? What can be the consequences? Lose the Green Card? Or provide explanations of why I quit my employer?
Amazon
2/11/2014 6:04:27 AM
Total Posts: 591
This is one of the most frequently asked question. For obvious reason, USCIS does not give a minimum time limit to stay with your employer, else some applicant will chose to leave immediately after that. Remember GC is for futuer job offer with the employer. It does not matter if you are currently working with them or not. They typically look for applicants intent. If the intent is to leave immediately after GC, USCIS can assume that the applicant did not have intent to stay "permanently" with the employer. Hence some lawyers suggest 6 months, some suggest 12 months. It is entirely upto you on how long to stay with them. There is no "right" answer from USCIS.

Rate My Professor Celebrity Net Worth