Forum Home > NVC, US Consulate and USCIS Discussion > National Visa Center (Dept of State)
Passport expiration requirement for NIW applications
There are 2 posts in this topic.
Watch This Topic
Start New Topic
Add Reply
Amir Ali
3/16/2023 10:19:54 AM
Total Post: 1
Category: EB1 Canada
With an approved NIW application, I am submitting DS-260 form and preparing my civil documents for an immigrant visa to the USA. As one of civil documents, my passport expires in more than seven months. Would it be acceptable if I use my current passport as the civil document considering that: - I intend to enter the USA in September 2023 or later - I can certainly renew my passport before the visa interview
Nriway
6/15/2023 7:13:00 AM
Total Posts: 11
Category: EB1 India
[quote=sltmad;20497]With an approved NIW application, I am submitting DS-260 form and preparing my civil documents for an immigrant visa to the USA. As one of civil documents, my passport expires in more than seven months. Would it be acceptable if I use my current passport as the civil document considering that: - I intend to enter the USA in September 2023 or later - I can certainly renew my passport before the visa interview[/quote] Yes, you can use your current passport to prepare your civil documents for your approved National Interest Waiver (NIW) application. However, as you mentioned, you will need to ensure that your passport is renewed before your visa interview, as you will need a valid passport to enter the United States. It's a good idea to renew your passport well before your visa interview, as passport processing times can vary and it may take several weeks or even months to receive your new passport. Additionally, having a valid passport will be important if you need to travel for any reason before your visa interview or before you enter the U.S. on your NIW. When you attend your visa interview, you should bring both your old and new passports, as well as any other required documentation, such as your approval notice and civil documents. Be sure to check the specific requirements for your visa interview and follow any instructions provided by the U.S. embassy or consulate where you will be attending your interview. Overall, using your current passport to prepare your civil documents for your NIW application should not be a problem as long as you renew your passport before your visa interview and have a valid passport when you enter the U.S.

Rate My Professor Celebrity Net Worth