Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline VK  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:23:58 AM(UTC)
VK

Hungary

Hi All,

I've been researching this topic, and have found controversial information. I'm about to receive my green card through my job, and may wanna change careers within a year or so. I've read that if I do, I'll may have problems getting my citizenship. I asked my lawyers, and they said I can do whatever I want after 6 months, but I'm not sure I believe it...Any thoughts? I'm confused...Thanks!
Sponsor
Offline Amazon  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2013 7:19:54 PM(UTC)
Amazon

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 78 post(s)
For obvious reasons, USCIS does not specify a minimum time limit to stay with employer. Remember GC is for future job with the employer (even if you are currently working with them).

So leaving your employer quickly after getting it could result in suspicion (that you had no intention to be a permanent employee of the company).

Hence many lawyers recommend waiting 6 months to leave employer. In reality there is no time limit of 6 months.
Please remember to add your case to the GC tracker: http://www.mygcvisa.com/tracker
thanks 1 user thanked Amazon for this useful post.
VK on 11/17/2013(UTC)
Offline VK  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 10:38:56 AM(UTC)
VK

Hungary

Yeah, this makes sense. I was planning on staying with them for 6 months anyways. The more pressing issue is, whether I can change careers or not. Since my labor certificate was approved for a certain kind of job, can i go and do something totally different? Or will that be an issue when I apply for citizenship? (getting the GC fraudulently...)
Oh, and thank you so much for all the work you do with this website! It is awesome! :)
Offline Amazon  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 3:42:21 PM(UTC)
Amazon

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 78 post(s)
You are welcome :)

You are free to change fields after GC. If you stay with your employer for 6 months to 1 years and then change field, USCIS would not typically consider it a fraud. It would be helpful (but not required) if the new field is related to old field.
Please remember to add your case to the GC tracker: http://www.mygcvisa.com/tracker